Hillshade on DEMs

 

I started with a multi-directional hillshade for the DEM.  I grouped similar land cover types together and turned the transparency of their symbology up to 65% to have the terrain compliment the differences in land cover.  For the water feature, I only used 25% transparency to have it stand out a bit more.  Pine had the largest area in this map, so I chose a light green color to intuitively show how lush this forested area is.  Nonforested areas were depicted with a tanish color for high contrast to the vegetated areas.  I chose a darker green color for the Fir areas which showed up nicely along the areas of varying elevation.  This darker color compliments the ridgelines throughout Yellowstone National Park because of the underlying hillshade of the DEM.

Comments

Popular Posts