Data Classification

I enjoyed this weeks mapping following up on the last modules cartographic principles lecture content.  Dealing with a chloropleth maps data can get very busy and bold without fine tuning the symbology.  As of recently, I've become more familiar with adjust hues and using better contrast to not have my maps be as abrupt as I've made them in the past.

I started out by making four different map frames for the four different data classification methods used.  Instead of building them one from another, I drew out a reasonably sized map frame in the corner of the layout and copied it three times.  They easily snapped in to one another making the alignment easy.  After, I snapped in a title box and left the map details in the margins.  The downside of four map layouts is getting the same color hues on all four map frames by copy and pasting the HEX #.  Similarly, there was no quick way to reduce the width of the outlines of the census tract boundaries.  I had to go in one by one to each class and adjust them; a lot of busy work but a great result.

The extent was simply copy and pasted to get each map frame identical.  The legend was difficult and the column margins had to be adjusted to get the text to fit reasonably well.  I decided to make the background of the legend transparent and placed it over the everglades.  The census tract was large, and the boundary lines in the southwest corner weren't really important in this situation.  I think the map details came out very clean (Verdana font), but I'm missing a neat line around that and can't decide if it looks good or not.



Comments

Popular Posts