LULC Classification

Having previously worked in an urban planning office, I've become familiar with studying land use maps.  This was the first time I've digitized boundaries and classified areas myself and realized how much work goes into digitizing LULC classifications.  Accuracy is crucial and remote sensing must be used to compliment to in-situ observations.  Snapping was particularly important to keep the boundary lines clean.  I unfortunately did not make this map aesthetically appealing due to time constraints; just digitizing and classifying a small map like this turned out to be extremely time consuming.




I used a systematic point sampling system and Google Earth to verify the accuracy.  Though there is variety in the landscape overall within this area, the systematic point sampling system and the large areas of wetland and residential neighborhoods made the verification process very easy to verify from the aerial photograph alone.

Comments

Popular Posts