GIS Programming Day 1

The first week of this really interesting class was already eye opening for me without much ground covered yet.  I've been extremely excited to use the skills obtained in this course specifically throughout the rest of my career since beginning this GIS Administration program.  This first week demystified the subject matter a bit and I'm confident I'll be compelled for the next eight weeks. 

I had to start by adding the Spyder 3.3.6 package in ArcGIS Pro.  This required me to clone the Project Environment in the Python section of the program's settings.  After adding the package using the Python Package Manager and a few restarts, I'm now able to launch the Spyder IDE from the Python Command Prompt in my ArcGIS Pro program folder.

This week's lecture and readings involved some foundational concepts of scripting and algorithms, both of which are very foreign to me at this point.  I'm very excited to use the Spyder IDE to practice identifying variables and building scripts after absorbing the script that was provided for this week's lab.  The script creates new folders in the subfolders in the parent folder of the class (located on the school's VM).  By running the script in the Spyder IDE, folders for every week's module and three subfolders were all created simultaneously and in practically an instant.



Comments

Popular Posts