First Module Motivation!

This first assignment of a suitability analysis was a reintroduction into ArcPro.  A lot of hair pulling and Google searches later, I'm back into the swing of things using this great software.  I had a bit of trouble in the beginning with not being able to load raster data from the file location of the virtual desktop, but was relieved to have classmates that provided prompt feedback to my inquiries.

The first step was use the Slope tool for the elevation and to convert all shapefile polygons to rasters (Polygon to Raster tool).  From these new raster layers, I applied the Euclidean Distance tool for the required buffers of rivers and roads.  I then used the Reclassify tool to assign a 0 or 1 value to each raster layer for the predefined ranges in their attribute data.  The Weighted Overlay tool combines the rasters and the suitability rankings.  I then used the Summarize Within tool to the aggregated layer to calculate the total area of the five different suitability rankings relative to the study area.

For the map symbology, I used the same dark color for both color ramps but different bright colors for the most suitable areas to contrast the dark background.  Because each scenario produced a different number of suitability rankings, the auto-generated color ramp was not the same for each map even when the same colors were chosen.  I applied 40% transparency to the colors of the raster cells so that the Hillshade and Topographic basemap layers in the background could add perspective to the study area.



Comments

Popular Posts